Thursday, October 09, 2008

3-yr-old living goddess

Hindu and Buddhist priests in Nepal appointed 3-year-old Matani Shakya a living goddess, or "kumari", worshipped as the incarnation of Taleju, the strong Hindu god. Many young girls, who are part of the Shakya goldsmith caste, went through ancient ceremonies to be selected as the goddess by a panel of judges. The girls were also assessed for having perfect physicality and no fear. After being chosen, the goddess must pass the final test of being alone with slaughtered goats and buffaloes' heads, and if they pass this, the goddess will be carried from her family and live in isolation in an ancient temple in Katmandu, the Nepali capital. But once she reaches puberty, she will lose her divineness and be allowed to return to her home.

Matani must feel very proud and so must her family; having status as a god is presumably a great achievement. But there's just one word in my mind: why? Is living by herself for several years really worth becoming a goddess? And she doesn't have or get anything from doing this except being alone. I would not give up my life for ten years if I just get recognized as an incarnation; there are too many things I would miss. And the judges are so particular about the girl's character; it just seems like a lot of trouble to go through, especially for such a young person. Also, I thought Buddhists didn't have any gods except Buddha, who is really only an enlightened person. I didn't really think that appointing Matani as a goddess followed any Buddhist beliefs, like attaining peace and wisdom. I think that this whole event doesn't help anyone or society and, especially for the young girl, creates much unnecessary commotion.

~ Outside Reading #3

Acharya, Yuvraj. "Hindu and Buddhist rituals herald appointment of 3-year-old living goddess in Nepal." Star Tribune. 7 Oct. 2008.
.

1 comment:

Hersha G. said...

I agree wit you, but I do have to point out that there were Hindu priests involved in it too, which might explain the whole thing, but I don't know if Shakya is a Hindu goddess or not. Matani's family does get something out of this, fame and honor. Beign the father or mother of a goddess, I think they would be very proud. I still feel sad for Matani, though. She has to live without her family for so long, and by the time she returns home, she probably won't even remember much about her parents at all, since she's only 3.